Custom Lighting Specification Guide | Help
Custom lighting encompasses a vast amount of information. It would require a lengthy summary to give all the technical information for standards to follow in choosing a light fixture for a specific industry type. Because each industry uses different types of custom items, we have made an effort to provide you with the basics of the required information that needs to be given by both a designer or client and a purchasing agent to a lighting manufacturer for a custom light fixture.
It is very helpful and important to give as much detail as possible in a custom lighting specification. This is the beginning of communications about the function and overall appearance of the custom fixture. If the fixtures are used in a public location, please be reminded to check the local electrical codes and ADA ratings codes.
Custom Lighting Checklist
- General description of the fixtures required and the purpose for using them (please be as descriptive as possible).
- Describe the effect you expect the light to deliver and any constraints on the way the light would impact its surroundings.
- Indoor or Outdoor fixture and required ratings (Dry, Damp, Wet)
- Regulations and Labeling: Describe code requirements for the custom light fixture. All our fixtures are Laboratories (UL) listed or labeled. Another alternative to UL is Canadian Standards Association (CSA).
- Where the fixture would be mounted? (please provide ceiling height and type if applicable)
- Provide drawings or sketches
- Provide any related images that may help understand the requirements.
- Is the custom light fixed or portable? (Portable lighting is defined as any light fixture that is not directly or hard-wired to an electrical outlet.
- Dimensions: Dimensions of item in as much detail as possible. Dimensions should include overall height including shade if applicable, depth, width, base and shade dimensions (if applicable).
- Quantity requested of each type
- Type of Construction & Fabrication: Materials required for the fixture to be made of For example: Nickel-plated brass body suspended with stainless steel wires and an opal glass shade.
- Finishes: Describe the finishes of each part of fixture as applicable including the finish type like plated finish or powder coat, etc.
- Description of any specific method of attachments of any components.
- Lamp(s) type required and wattage: Specify quantity and lamp type (including socket type) and what is the minimum and maximum wattage. For example: 24W max GU24 base compact fluorescent lamp.
- Voltage: for example 120V or 277V
- Type of cord: Cord length and cord style. For example “coiled cord”
- Switch: Type of switch required and location (if applicable). Example: Push button on/off switch at lower side of base.
- Special requirements; like special base bottom if required to prevent damage to surfaces
- Fixture mounting details including type of mounting, thickness and type of surface attaching to and required location of the electrical cord.
- Data Port or Infrared remote: Provide in detail the requirements of system.
- Weight: describe any weight issues that might impact the custom fixture design. For example: weight of the lighting fixture should not exceed 200 LB because of ceiling structural issues.
- Fabrication Tolerances: Like Thickness @+/- 1/8″ , Height and Width @ +/- 1/16″
- Budget: Provide budget for each fixture and for project total.
Other items to provide if available:
- Project schedule: Required delivery date. Specify if phased deliveries may be required or allowed.
- Provide finish samples if available
- Special environmental requirements.
- Assembly: Describe if shipped complete or your prefer assembly at destination.
Click here to go to go to Custom Lighting Fabrication page…